The Seven Main Chakra Energy Centers
Everything is created by and comprised of energy including the human body. Energy also has varying vibrating levels depending on the object or the person, because everything is unique unto itself. Within the human body there are many “chakra” energy centers which help to regulate all the body processes, from organ function to the immune system and are affected by our emotions. There are seven main “chakras” which are positioned in our body from the base of our spine to the crown of our head. Each of these seven chakras has its own vibration frequency, color, element, mantra/music and function in the body.
“Chakras” date back and originate in India around 1,500 B.C. However, there also has been mention of them in the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali which date back to circa 200 B.C. The Western culture was first introduced to “chakras” by Sir John Woodroffe (aka Arthur Avalon) in the early 20th century.
The Sanskrit meaning for “chakra” is “wheel”. This is due to the fact that when a chakra is healthy and balanced it spins and rotates clockwise like a wheel.
The seven main chakras in our body run along the front and back of the spine which correspond to the glands of the endocrine system. The Seven Main Chakra Energy Centers are the “Root” (base of the spine), “Sacral” (pelvic floor), “Solar Plexus” (above naval), “Heart” (heart area), “Throat” (throat area), “Third Eye” (between brows) and the “Crown” (crown of head).
When all of the aspects of our “being” (physical, mental, emotional & spiritual) are functioning smoothly our chakras are balanced where they are spinning clockwise with ease allowing our energy field to flow freely. We then feel connected with our bodies, with all of life and with our higher selves where we are at peace. However, our chakras can become blocked or stagnant for many reasons such as emotional trauma, fear, stress, illness, injury or even past life events. In fact our chakras are always changing from day to day, moment to moment depending on our current state of physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health. They provide an excellent map for our path of spiritual development, health and overall well being. Our chakras can be accessed and/or maintained through many methods such as conscious breathing, guided imagery, meditation, yoga, aromatherapy, Tai Chi, acupressure, acupuncture and of course Reiki.
As stated before, our chakras vibrate at various frequencies, as do light and sound, therefore our chakras are affected by many things. The chakra colors correspond to the colors in the light spectrum and the rainbow. They also resonate to the notes on the musical scale. As such, chakras can be balanced through energy work as well as through color imagery, sound therapy as well as corresponding healing crystals/stones. When one or more of the chakras in your body becomes blocked, underactive or overactive it can throw you off balance physically, emotionally, mentally or spiritually where Reiki can provide cleansing and/or balancing for your overall health and well being.
For instance, if you ever have had trouble expressing yourself, being truthful with yourself, persistent sore throats, mouth problems (teeth/gums) have had several bouts of laryngitis or perhaps and underactive or overactive thyroid then these are all signs of an imbalance in your throat chakra. When these types of troubles occur then cleansing and balancing the appropriate chakra will restore positive balance and will remove the negativity and any blockages that are causing the imbalance.
Within the first four main lower chakras (Root, Sacral, Solar Plexus & Heart) is where your internal guidance system is. Most people understand that the Root chakra (1st chakra) is for survival /security and grounding. It is also where your gut instincts come from. The Root chakra is the foundation of your overall health and wellbeing where it supports all the other chakras above it. The Root chakra must be balanced in order to balance any of the other chakras above it.
Furthermore, within the first four main chakras is where your ego and the rational mind live. The ego tends to get a bad reputation. However, your ego plays a very important instrumental part of your overall health and wellbeing. The Root chakra is where we have our individual integrity. It is also the energy center that provides a solid ground from which to establish our equilibrium in order to ascend to higher awareness.
- Location: Base of Spine, Coccyx Perineum
- Color: Red
- Stones/Crystals: Red Jasper, Smoky Quartz, Petrified Wood, Hematite, Black Obsidian, Garnet, Black Kyanite, Ruby, Blood Stone, Rose Quartz, Coral
- Essential Oils: Ylang Ylang, Sandalwood
- Mantra/Musical Note: LAM, C
- Element: Earth
- Endocrine: Adrenals (Stress, Metabolism)
- When Underactive: Fear of Death, Fear of Change, Stress, Insecurity, Not Grounded, Need to Shop or Hoard to Feel Safe
- When Overactive: Feelings of Aggression, Impulsive & Reckless Actions
- Psychological Functions: Survival, Vitality, Grounding, Reality, Support, Security, Sexuality, Stability, Courage, Individuality, Impulsiveness
- Responsible For: Basic Survival Needs, groundedness, sexuality & strength
- Glands: Adrenals
- Associated Body Parts: Spine (Chi, Life Force), Legs, Feet, Bones, Large Intestines, Prostate, Bladder, Arterial Blood, Circulation, Tailbone, Teeth
- Physical Dis-functions: Fatigue, Anemia, Anus, Rectum such as Hemorrhoids, Constipation, Body Temperature, Obesity, Colds, Rebuilds Blood Cells & Hemoglobin, Bladder Infection, Sciatic, Numbness, Leukemia, Eating Disorders, Spinal Problems, Immune Related Disorders, Osteoporosis or other bone disorders.
- Balancing Chakra: Walking barefoot on the grass or on the beach. Walk through the park or woods. Go hiking in nature. Sit with your back against a tree to get grounded.
- Affirmations: I am safe at the core of my soul. I have trust in the natural flow of life. I take my natural place in the world that all I need will come to me in the right time, space and place. I am secure and grounded and give thanks to Mother Earth for the nourishment, shelter, and stability “She” gives me. I accept and allow my instinctual nature, the part of me which is purely animal. I am grounded and stable. I am trust and stability.
The 2nd chakra which is just above the Root chakra is the Sacral (Spleen) chakra. The Sacral chakra is associated with the emotional body, sensuality, and creativity. Due to the fact that its element is water and as such, its energy is characterized by flow and flexibility.
The function of the Sacral chakra is directed by the principle of pleasure and it is about three inches below your navel, at the center of your lower belly. In the back, it’s located at the level of the lumbar vertebrae.Other noteworthy locations described in different systems, expand its location to the genital area, especially at the level of ovaries for women and the testicles for men.
The Sacral chakra is also associated with the lymphatic system. Motivated by pleasure, the Sacral chakra is the driving force for the enjoyment of life through the senses, whether it’s auditory, through taste, touch, or sight. This chakra allows us to “feel” the world around and in us. As such, it’s another important chakra at the foundation of our feeling of well-being. The Sacral chakra is instrumental in developing flexibility in our life. Associated with the water element, it’s characterized by movement and flow in our emotions and thoughts. It supports personal expansion and the formation of identity through relating to others and to the world.
- Location: Lower Abdomen (Pelvic Floor, Reproductive Organs)
- Color: Orange
- Stones/Crystals: Orange Calcite, Carnelian, Tangerine Quartz, Bronzite, Orange Kyanite, Cinnabar, Fire Opal
- Essential Oils: Melissa, Sandalwood, Orange
- Mantra/Musical Note: VAM, D
- Element: Water
- Endocrine: Ovaries, Testes (Reproductive, Sexual Characteristics)
- When Underactive: Fear of Intimacy & Abandonment, Disconnected from Sexuality, Shyness, Feeling Repressed
- When Overactive: Constant Drama, Rocky Relationships, Overly Lustful
- Psychological Functions: Feelings, Emotions, Expression of Natural Instincts, Intimacy, Procreation, Confidence, Polarity, Sensuality, Sociability, Movement, Freedom
- Responsible For: Desires, Creativity, Intimacy & Warmth
- Glands: Gonads
- Associated Body Parts: Ovaries, Testes, Womb, Kidneys, Urinary Tract, Skin, Gallbladder, Spleen, Recharges Etheric Body/Aura
- Physical Dis-functions: Eating Disorders, Candida, Drug Use, Impotence, Frigidity, Ovaries, Uterine Problems, Depression, Alcoholism, Polarity Imbalances, Gout, Allergies, Asthma (Oxygen Deficiencies)
- Balancing Chakra: Immersing your body in water (baths with Epsom Salts, Baking Soda), swimming, Water/Ocean Sounds, Deep Tissue Massage,Walking in the Moonlight
- Affirmations: I am able to clearly feel and sense the rhythms of life. I celebrate the creative exchange of all sensing energy in the universe. I honor the merging and blending of the masculine and feminine laws of nature as I recognize and merge these laws of nature within myself. I give and receive freely from the wellspring of life. I am capable of being creative and have happy relationships. I accept and allow my emotional nature, my need for pleasure and nurturing.
Solar Plexus Chakra
The 3rd chakra which is just above the sacral chakra is the Solar Plexus chakra. It is associated with the expression of will, power, mental abilities, and personal responsibility. Its element is fire and as such, its energy is characterized by transmutation and heat. The Solar Plexus chakra is directed by the principle of your power and your intellect. The Solar Plexus chakra’s main function is to provide your energy to move forward and to realize your desires and intentions. It is at the base of the development of your personal power. This energy center feeds your direction in life and the actions taken in order to reach your goals. It’s also central in the preoccupations about social status and how you show yourself to others. The challenge with the Solar Plexus chakra is to find balance between asserting your personal power in this world and controlling or being ruled by your will or other’s.
- Location: Solar Plexus, Stomach
- Color: Yellow
- Stones/Crystals: Citrine, Tiger Eye, Amber, Rutilated Quartz, Topaz, Lemon Quartz, Preynite, Moonstone
- Essential Oils: Cinnamon, Clove, Black Pepper, Rosemary, Ginger, Lemon
- Mantra/Musical Note: RAM, E
- Element: Fire
- Endocrine: Pancreas (Glucose Balance)
- When Underactive: Low Self-Esteem, Need to live up to others’ expectations
- When Overactive: Over-Inflated Ego, Overly Competitive, Stored Rage
- Psychological Functions: Personal Power, Will, Wit, Knowledge, Mental Clarity, Laughter, Humor, Optimism, Curiosity, Self Control, Awareness, Power of Intention
- Responsible For: Purpose, Confidence, Power & Learning
- Glands: Pancreas
- Associated Body Parts: Digestion, Stomach, Liver, Nervous System, Diaphragm, Pancreas, Metabolism, Small Intestines
- Physical Dis-functions: Diabetes, Ulcers, Hypoglycemia, Hepatitis, Blood Sugar Disorders, Nervousness, Constipation, Addictions to Stimulants, Timidity, Parasites & Worms, Jaundice, Toxicity, Poor Memory
- Balancing Chakra: Develop your photographic memory, do puzzles, pick up an old hobby. Wear a gold bracelet or necklace. Find the time to be outdoors and bask in the sun. Physical Movement awakens and recharges your body especially first thing in the morning.
- Affirmations: I am at peace with myself and my surroundings. I express my identity without imposing my will upon others. I see the differences in others as unique expressions that contribute more color and fragrance to the world. I am energized by the light and heat of the sun. I am powerful and energetic. I am in harmony with all I see. I am unafraid.
The Heart chakra is the fourth chakra. Located at the center of the chakra system, it bridges the spiritual (Crown, Third Eye, Throat) and the earthly chakras (Solar Plexus, Sacral, Root). It is associated with the many expressions of love and compassion, and when relating to others and oneself such as acceptance and forgiveness.
The function of the Heart chakra is driven by the principle of connection and integration. The heart chakra acts as a center of integration of earthly and more spiritual matters. Love is a powerful energy that helps transfigure emotions and experiences. It’s an essential element of any relationship and relating. Love in the heart chakra is not just about romance, but about going beyond the limit of the ego and preoccupations with oneself into compassion and acceptance of all that is. The heart chakra is also a center through which we experience beauty in life. Seeing the world through a balanced fourth chakra is being in a state of openness and acceptance that brings us in touch with our world and with our self in profound and fulfilling ways.
- Location: Center of Chest
- Color: Green
- Stones/Crystals: Jade, Aventurine, Green Calcite, Rose Quartz, Emerald, Peridot, Moss Agate, Malachite, Chrysoprase
- Essential Oils: Eucalyptus, Pine, Rose, Patchouli
- Mantra/Musical Note: YAM, F
- Element: Air
- Endocrine: Thymus (Immune System)
- When Underactive: Resentment, Anger, Depression, Stinginess, Suppressed Feelings
- When Overactive: Service to others at the expense of self, Martyr Syndrome
- Psychological Functions: Relationships, Love, Acceptance, Compassion, Self-Control, Forgiveness, Guilt, Peace, Harmony, Renewal, Growth
- Responsible For: Balance, Love, Healing, Unity, Compassion & Service
- Glands: Thymus
- Associated Body Parts: Heart, Lungs, Thymus Gland, Bronchia, Arms, Hands, Respiratory, Hypertension, Muscles
- Physical Dis-functions: Asthma, High Blood Pressure, Passiveness, Lethargy, Immune System, Breathing Difficulties, Pneumonia, Cell Growth, Emphysema, Muscle Tension, Heart Problems, Chest Pain
- Balancing Chakra: Healing a closed heart through giving and receiving love with a pet, Filling the house with green plants, gardening
- Affirmations: I am vulnerable and I open myself to the Universe. I promote and nurture the quality of my compassion for myself and others. I have the courage to love unconditionally. I am compassionate, loving, and balanced. I accept myself totally, exactly as I am now. My heart is open to give and to receive.
The Throat chakra is the fifth chakra. It is located at the center of the neck at the level of the throat; it is the passage of the energy between the lower parts of the body and the head. The function of the Throat chakra is driven by the principle of expression and communication. This chakra is related to the element of sound. Through the throat, sound is propagated into the air and its vibration can be felt not just in our ears, but also in our whole body. It is an important instrument of communication and expression.
The Throat chakra is about the expression of yourself: Your truth, purpose in life, creativity. Note that this chakra has a natural connection with the second chakra or sacral chakra, center of emotions and creativity as well. The throat chakra’s emphasis is on expressing and projecting the creativity into the world according to its perfect form or authenticity. Another function of the throat chakra is to connect you to spirit. Because of its location, it’s often seen as the “bottleneck” of the movement of energy in the body. It sits just before the upper chakras of the head. When you open up your Throat chakra it can greatly help align your vision with reality and release pressure that may affect the heart chakra that is located just below.
- Location: Throat
- Color: Blue
- Stones/Crystals: Lapis Lazuli, Blue Lace Agate, Turquoise, Sodalite, Blue Kyanite, Blue Saphire, Blue Quartz
- Essential Oils: Peppermint, Spearmint, Chamomile, Geranium
- Mantra/Musical Note: HAM, G
- Element: Ether
- Endocrine: Thyroid (Metabolism, Body Temperature)
- When Underactive: Excessive rationally, Lack of Creativity, Inability to find a Life Vision, Lack of Communication, Unvoiced Feelings (Not speaking your Truth)
- When Overactive: Criticizing of Others, Negative Talk
- Psychological Functions: Speech, Communication, Trust, Wisdom, Caution, Organization, Spatial, Planning, Creative Expression
- Responsible For: Communication, Expression & Creativity
- Glands: Thyroid
- Associated Body Parts: Throat, Vocal System, Jaw, Mouth, Tongue, Neck, Parathyroid, Shoulders, Lymphs (Perspiration), Atlas, Menstrual Cycle
- Physical Dis-functions: Asthma, High Blood Pressure, Passiveness, Lethargy, Immune System, Breathing Difficulties, Pneumonia, Cell Growth, Emphysema, Muscle Tension, Heart Problems, Chest Pain
- Balancing Chakra: Singing (in the shower), poetry, stamp or art collecting. Meaningful conversations. Decorate your room with blue tones. Read spiritual books. Attend spiritual events.
- Affirmations: I am free to express my creativity with expanded enthusiasm and joy. I give voice to my feelings and communicate with clarity and openness. I am a unique being, my opinions are of great value and I share them fearlessly. I am imaginative and colorful in all I do. I communicate freely and I am truthful with myself and others. I accept my creative nature.
Third Eye Brow Chakra
The Third Eye chakra is the sixth chakra. Located on the forehead, between the eyebrows, it is the center of intuition and foresight. The function of the Third Eye chakra is driven by the principle of openness and imagination. The most commonly accepted location for the sixth chakra is between the eyebrows, slightly above at the bridge of your nose. Contrary to a common misconception, it is not located in the middle of the forehead, but between the eyes where the eyebrows would meet. It can also be described as being located behind the eyes in the middle of the head. Note that secondary chakras run along the midline of the forehead, but the Third Eye chakra is typically located lower.
The Third Eye chakra is associated to the pineal gland in charge of regulating biorhythms, including sleep and wake time. It’s a gland located in the brain that is a center of attention because of its relationship with the perception and effect of light and altered or “mystical” states of consciousness. It’s positioned close to the optical nerves, and as such, sensitive to visual stimulations and changes in lighting.
- Location: Forehead
- Color: Indigo
- Stones/Crystals: Lapis Lazuli, Blue Tiger Eye, Azurite, Angelite, Purple Charoite
- Essential Oils: Patchouli, Frankincense, Myrrh
- Mantra/Musical Note: OM, A
- Element: Light
- Endocrine: Hypothalamus (Involuntary body functions, Regulates Sleep, Stimulates Appetite)
- When Underactive: Disconnection from Soul, Inability To Focus and Stay Centered, Lack of Intuition, Rigid Beliefs, Overanalyzing
- When Overactive: Oversensitive, Feeling Spaced Out Psychological Functions: Intuition, Inventive, Self Realization, Psychic Abilities, Release, Perception, Memory, Understanding, Fearlessness
- Responsible For: Imagination, Intuition, Psychic Abilities & Higher Consciousness
- Glands: Pituitary
- Associated Body Parts: Ears, Eyes, Nose, Sinuses, Pineal, Cerebellum, Forebrain, Autonomic Nervous System, Heals Etheric Body/Aura
- Physical Dis-functions: Headaches, Vision, Blindness, Migraines, Earaches, Sleep Disorders, Nightmares, Fear, Manic Depression, Anxiety, Paranoia, Schizophrenia, Equilibrium Imbalances
- Balancing Chakra: Practice Meditation to develop your intuition, Add purple/indigo colors to your wardrobe (even a scarf can assist the flow of energy), Listening to music that is classical in nature, Star Gazing
- Affirmations: I create my own reality. All experiences that I come into contact with are a reflection of my own projected thought and emotions. I develop my inner senses. I am open to my intuition. I accept and allow my wisdom, and my understanding of reality.
The Crown chakra is the seventh chakra. Located at the top of the head, it gives us access to higher states of consciousness as we open to what is beyond our personal preoccupations and visions. The function of the Crown chakra is driven by consciousness and gets us in touch with the universal consciousness. The Crown chakra is most commonly represented with the color white, although it can also be depicted as deep purple. The auric color of Crown chakra energy can also be seen as gold, white, or clear light. The Crown chakra is primarily associated to the pituitary gland, and secondarily to the pineal and the hypothalamus. The hypothalamus and pituitary gland work in pair to regulate the endocrine system. Because of its location, the Crown chakra is closely associated with the brain and the whole nervous system. Note: Energetically, the seventh chakra has a connection with the first chakra, as they both are at the extremities of the chakra system.
- Location: Top of Head
- Color: Violet
- Stones/Crystals: Amethyst, Purple Fluorite, Clear Quartz, Celestite
- Essential Oils: Lavender, Jasmine
- Mantra/Musical Note: OM, B
- Element: Thought
- Endocrine: Pineal Gland (Daily Biological Cycles, Body’s Light Meter, Helps Balance Endocrine System, Body Rhythms, Sleep Patterns, Fertility)
- When Underactive: Lack of Bliss, Inability to see the larger picture, inability to surrender to the flow of life
- When Overactive: Disconnection from earth, body and reality
- Psychological Functions: Inspiration, Knowingness, Wisdom, Charisma, Higher Self, Awareness, Meditation, Self Sacrificing, Visionary
- Responsible For: Spirit, Connecting to your Higher Self
- Glands: Pineal
- Associated Body Parts: Upper Brain, Cerebrum, Cerebral Cortex, Pituitary, Hair Growth, Central Nervous System, Top of Head
- Physical Dis-functions: Mental Illness, Depression, Alienation, Confusion, Neuralgia, Senility, Veins, Blood Vessels, Lymphatic System,, Warts, Bacteria, Skin Rashes, Eczema
- Balancing Chakra: Prayer, Meditation, Physical Exercise, Stretching, Writing down your dreams, desires and the life or things you want to create for yourself. Meditate with clear thought to allow your higher self to come through.
- Affirmations: I am able to contemplate the temporary nature of reality. I release attachment, recognizing that it is the source of all suffering. I develop emptiness so that I may experience union with the universal consciousness and merge with the oneness of all creation. I live in the present moment. I am pure Devine Light.
Copyright 2017 | All Rights Reserved by LKM Solutions LLC | Web Design & Hosting by: Carl Cox Studios